THE SIERRA LEONE RED CROSS SOCIETY
The Sierra Leone Red Cross Society [SLRCS] traces its beginnings to an influenza pandemic (also called the ‘Spanish flu’) that gripped the world in 1918. Sierra Leone was badly affected by this plague, which killed many Sierra Leoneans. A group of women (mostly the wives of British colonial administrators in Freetown) formed a social welfare organization to assist those affected by the influenza. When the disease subsided, these women continued their humanitarian work, offering various forms of assistance to Sierra Leonean mothers and children. And in 1937 the group was affiliated to the British Red Cross Society, as Sierra Leone was still a colonial enclave of the British Government. The organization was then known as the Sierra Leone Branch of the British Red Cross Society. Their work was extended to the provincial areas of Bo, Kenema and Makeni in the 1950s.
‘‘A Resilient Red Cross, delivering quality and sustainable humanitarian assistance to the vulnerable”.
‘‘A nationwide Society empowered by the difference we make in the lives of vulnerable communities in partnership with our stakeholders. A respected steward of funds, providing timely and targeted preventive and responsive services in support of:
- Respect for the human being
- A healthy Society
- Alleviation of suffering and
- The promotion of the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross Movement’’
The NS forms part of the basic units and constitute a vital force of the Movement, carrying out humanitarian activities in conformity with own statutes and national legislations, in pursuance of the mission of the Movement, and in accordance with the Fundamental Principles.
SLRCS comprises a General Assembly, the Finance Commission, and the Governing Board. It also has regional structures represented by Regional Representatives who are also members of the National Governing Board that ensures the extension of Red Cross activities throughout the districts including Western Area.